Monday, January 20, 2014

(1/20/14)

Dear Family and Friends,

So this week has been a hectic one. As I write this I am trying to figure out what has happened since the last time that I wrote. With the weird Pday last week, my schedule is off. I got to do so much this week, including teaching to Al, the security guard and Sister Te, the mission home house help. They are both members and Sister Te asked Elder S and I to teach them. It is great to hear their stories about how they came to know the truth. I was part of Alex's conversion, but until we taught them I didn't know Sister Te. She used to hide from the missionaries, but eventually warmed up to them and was baptized. A few years later one of her sons served a mission, just like he wanted to when he was baptized. She is working on her family history and has run into a few obstacles, mostly just with the records of the Philippines which aren't the best. I have come to see on my mission how much the gospel of Jesus Christ really blesses all people. Lives change when the gospel is involved.

We got to teach to the Anc family on Sunday. We taught to six of them, as the others kind of wandered off as we arrived or shortly after. They see how important it is to have a prophet on the Earth and we introduced them to President Thomas S. Monson. I know that he is a true prophet and he holds all of the keys of the priesthood that were restored through Jospeh Smith. We gave them a Book of Mormon and invited them to baptism. They accepted but not a set date. That is our goal for them this week. As we were shaking hands, I noticed that Jerry, the husband of one of the daughters of the family was reading from a random spot, but it turned out to not be so random. He had opened to the page where Nephi testifies that the Lord will reveal the truth to all those who ask, in all ages and times. I pray that he took understood and that the Spirit touched his heart as he read those words. I know they are true.

Short funny story from this week. On Thursday, us office Elders and the APs were playing basketball in the morning, like we usually do. But this time, we had a visitor. This guy wandered over to the main gate of the mission home compound and started watching us. He also started to commentate and do cheers. I don't know if he was drunk, crazy or what but it was hilarious! when President pulled up to the gate in the van, the guy jumped aside and saluted as he pulled in. He then guarded the gate until it shut completely to make sure no one followed President in. I wish one of us had had a camera on us to film it. I don't think I have ever seen anything as funny. 

I want to share a short thought with you all from my personal study this week. I am in the Isaiah chapters of 2 Nephi. I just read the prophesies of what was going to happen to the tribes of Israel and in the last days. After telling the people that the Lords anger is not turned away, Isaiah adds that His hand is outstretched still. There is always the chance for repentance. The Lord is always waiting for us to reach out and take his hand which is extended in mercy. That is why Jesus Christ came to Earth, why he completed the Atonement and has restored his Church in the last days. Even in times like these, his hand is outstretched still. I know that it is. I have taken it and he has raised me up like I never could on my own. If there is anyone who reads this email who has not yet accepted his hand, I plead with you to do so. Do all that it takes. It will be worth it and it is never to late. God loves us all and with him all things are possible to those who believe.

I know that this work is the work of salvation and the Lord is it's great author and director. The Church is true and God loves us. Remember that.

Love,

Elder Ryne Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY FIRST NAMES IN COMMENTS FOR THE PRIVACY OF ELDER RWOOD AND HIS FAMILY-THANK YOU!!