Monday, December 31, 2012

12/30/12


Dear Family and Friends,
I hope that you all had a great Christmas like I did. It really is a very different situation celebrating Christmas in the Philippines, but the Spirit of Christmas is the same. We had a great ward activity, the longest one I have ever attended. It went from 9 am to 5 pm, though it didn't start until about ten and Elder O and I left at 4 so that we could finish our studying. One of our investigators came and also came to Church yesterday for the second time. One of the oddest parts of Christmas in the Philippines is the lack of snow. We had some rain yesterday, but there is zero chance of getting snow. Ever. I;m a bit sad about that, but apparently come April through September I'll get to see lots of rain and flooding. They'll be fun!
On Sunday we had the most investigators at church that we have ever had. M, MA and S all came. This is truly a little miracle, since we were not able to reach or even make contact with MA and S this week, despite all of our efforts, yet they still attended Church. It really shows how much the Spirit is working with them and that Heavenly Father is watching over them and answering our prayers and the prayers of their families for them.
On Sunday, we had a great experience during Sunday School. We had an overview and brief introduction to the Doctrine and Covenants since that is going to be the course of Study for 2013. At the end of the lesson, we sang The Spirit of God and I was conducting the music. As we started singing the Spirit entered and filled the room. It was overwhelming how strong it was and I know it touched everyone since I could see everyone as I was directing the song. This experience really strengthens my testimony of the restoration of the Gospel and that in these the Latter Days the Lord is pouring his Spirit out on His saints and preparing for the Second Coming of His Son, Jesus Christ. I love this Gospel so much and I love My Father in Heaven and my Savior and all that they have done for me.

SO I want to share an amazing experience with you that I had this past Friday  We were out in Nambaran and we found some new investigators. One of them, a man named E, is Jehovah's Witness and had a lot of questions and opinions. After teaching the First Vision he told us that he Didn't believe any one could see God. He was speaking in Ilokano so I couldn't understand what he was saying as he was saying this. But my mind went to an experience in the MTC when an investigator told us the same thing and how I responded and how he understood that Joseph Smith could see God. I didn't know why I was thinking about this, then Elder O told me that E had said he didn't believe any one could see God. I responded in the same way I did in the MTC and confounded E. I'm still not exactly sure how what I taught confounded him, but by teaching him the truth about God and Jesus Christ, he basically had to agree that Joseph saw God the Father and Jesus Christ. Remind me of this experience when I come home and I'll see if I can explain it in more detail. I know that the Spirit brought my MTC experience to mind and guided my words as we taught about Joseph Smith seeing God the Father and Jesus Christ. The Spirit has guided me so much here in Bacarra and it really is amazing. I know that this church is true, that the Gospel was restored through Joseph Smith and and that we have the fullness of the Gospel now.
Just one real quick last story. On Friday Night as Elder O and I were traveling to an appointment, we were stopped by a man on the corner. He was a bit drunk, but was still thinking and talking very clearly. He told us that we need to go to his house on the 30th and teach him. He basically asked us to teach him the Apostasy and Restoration, the Plan of Salvation and the Atonement. And he said all of this in English. I was super excited to teach him and we did and it was a good lesson. He was not drunk and was speaking Ilokano this time, so I barely understood any of what he said. But the Spirit was strong as we testified of the Restoration of the Gospel through Joseph Smith and he is excited to keep learning.
THank you for all of your prayer for all of the missionaries around the world. We really do receive may blessings because  of your faith and prayer. This is the Lord's work. I ask you to do all that you can to help the missionaries where you live share the gospel and bring other to Christ. Mahal Kita. Kita Kits sa 21 months!
Elder RWood

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY FIRST NAMES IN COMMENTS FOR THE PRIVACY OF ELDER RWOOD AND HIS FAMILY-THANK YOU!!