Tuesday, November 27, 2012

In Memory of Donald Hastings Wood (11/27/12)

*Side note* Elder RWood's grandfather passed away on Sunday, November 25. Grandpa had been very sick the last few years and Elder RWood knew Grandpa would not make it until RWood's return home. Grandpa and Grandma Wood also served in the Philippines back in the last '90s.
-ABice


Dear Family and Friends,
 SO I have officially been in the Philippines for five days and I love it here. In Manila, it didn't feel much different than parts of the US like California (except for the traffic. They are insane drivers here!) WE got to Manila on Wednesday morning and since we didn't fly to Laoag until the next morning, we got to go to the Manila Temple. It was a great experience. We arrived in Laoag Thursday morning and met the APs and President and Sister Barrientos. They are amazing, loving people. WE got to go out and place some Book of Mormons first thing after we arrived, which was tough but a great learning experience. WE had our interviews with President Barrientos and then had a Thanksgiving dinner which was amazing and very different from any thanksgiving I have had before. The next day we got our companions and areas. I am serving in the Bacarra area with Elder O. We are just a bit north of Laoag city. It is a very pretty area and the members are very helpful. In Five days I have had more foreign food that I have had in my entire life and I love Philippino food. The work is definitely not easy but is is very rewarding. I'm sorry if this email is not very long. I've discovered that I am not very fast or good at typing but I am going to get better (hopefully) and I am a bit overwhelmed with everything that has happened and I'm not entirely sure what all so say. I love the Philippino people and I have felt the had of the Lord in my life very much, both since I began my mission and since I have arrived in the Philippines. I know that He loves all of us and is watching over us. 
I'm going to miss you Grandpa Wood. Thank you for all that you have taught me, for your great example of missionary work and love. I know that you loved the people of the Philippines very much and you enjoyed your time serving them. We will meet again. 

Thank you all for your prayers and faith, not only for me but for all of the missionaries and their families. Thank you for all of your great examples and love. God be with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY FIRST NAMES IN COMMENTS FOR THE PRIVACY OF ELDER RWOOD AND HIS FAMILY-THANK YOU!!